Risk assessment for the EDF Energy London Eye Experience
About the EDF Energy London Eye
When pupils are enjoying a lesson it shows. It shows in their attention levels, in the effort they put in and the results they achieve. The Education Programme at The EDF Energy London Eye offers maximum educational value through unique and stimulating learning experiences.
From every angle, the London Eye is an exceptionally useful and inspiring educational tool. This is because so many different disciplines went into its creation and there are so many ways in which it can be used to exemplify aspects of learning; whether in specific areas such as design, technology, architecture and engineering, or more broadly to promote numeracy and literacy, commercial or community issues.
About Merlin Entertainments Group
Merlin Entertainments Group is the leading name in location based, quality family entertainment. Now the world's number two visitor attraction operator, it aims to deliver unique, memorable and rewarding experiences to its 30 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its managers and employees. Merlin has over 50 attractions, in 12 countries, across three continents - Europe, North America and Asia - and employs over 13,000 staff.
Legal requirements and attraction information
- Public Liability: The London Eye is covered by Public Liability Insurance to the amount of £5 million. The Policy is with ACE Europe (Policy No UKCANC33447).
- Local Enforcement Agency: Lambeth Council.
- Rides Engineering / Maintenance: Fairground and Amusement Parks – Guidance on Safe Practices HSG 65 and 175
- Food Safety and Hygiene: N/A
- Attraction Staff / Staff identification: Venue staff wear uniforms and name badges for easy identification. Full criminal record checks are carried out on all first aiders and permanent front of house staff.
- Security: The attraction has a dedicated security team who are able to deal with minor security issues on site. The team is also trained to deal with emergency incidents that may arise.
- Vehicle traffic: N/A. If there is work going on in or around the Queens Walk area there may be vehicle traffic. Supervision is required at all times.
- Weather protection / Sun safety: School parties can be kept queuing in all weather conditions. Only those booked into a private capsule or for a School Discovery Experience are fast tracked. Please dress for changeable weather.
- Water: The London Eye is situated on the river Thames. Whilst there is no access to the river from the attraction, pupils / students must be supervised at all times to ensure safety.
- Slips/ Trips/ Falls: The following hazards should be noted: steps and stairs, moving capsule when boarding, wet flooring
- High level areas: Whilst there are no high level areas per se, those who suffer from vertigo may find the experience uncomfortable. Supervision is required when getting on and off the capsule.
- Strobe lighting: N/A
- Reduced lighting: N/A
- Enclosed spaces: Guests are enclosed in the capsule for 30 minutes and whilst the capsule is large, some individuals may feel confined. However the capsule cannot be defined as a confined space.
- Attraction specific risk: Care must be taken when boarding because the capsules are continually moving. Supervision is required.
- Door entrapment: Please make sure all children are away from the capsule door when opening. Please follow the audio instruction for this in capsule.
- Rides: The London Eye experience time is 30 minutes. Supervision is required throughout.
- Soft play areas / Play equipment: N/A
- Arrival arrangements: If you are bringing a group by minibus or coach and need to drop off and pick up your group at the London Eye, please note that space is very limited and you are required to book a coach-parking bay. This service is complimentary, but must be booked in advance by calling our disabled booking line on +44 (0)870 990 8885. Please note that you are only permitted to use a parking bay for 20 minutes whilst you drop off and then pick up your group and you are not permitted to stay whilst the group visits the London Eye.
- Parking: There are car parks located on the South Bank within a five minute walk of the London Eye. These include Golden Jubilee Bridges, under Hayward Gallery and under the Royal National Theatre. These car parks all have disabled parking bays.
- First aid: The London Eye has a medical / first aid facility which is operated by a dedicated team of qualified first aiders.
- Emergency planning: The London Eye has a contingency plan in the event of an emergency. The emergency plan has been developed in conjunction with the local emergency services who have regular meetings regarding emergency procedures.
- Fire safety: In the event of an emergency please follow all evacuation procedures.
- Wheelchair access: The London Eye is fully accessible for wheelchair users. Due to safety restrictions, only two wheelchairs per capsule and up to eight wheelchairs are allowed on the London Eye at the same time. Wheelchair spaces should be pre-booked in advance. During busy periods, wheelchair users are strongly advised to pre-book to avoid disappointment.
- Lost children: Please report to member of staff or security guard.
- Unruly children: The attraction has regulations displayed at the entrance. Staff are trained to enforce these regulations for the benefit of all guests. Staff will instruct children to behave where necessary.
- Age / height restrictions: There are no age or height restrictions for this attraction.
- Lockers / storage facilities: There are no lockers or storage facilities.
- Eating facilities: There are eating facilities outside the café and inside County Hall. There are also several independent food outlets in close proximity. There are several areas suitable for picnics.
- Welfare facilities: There are disabled toilets in the experience zone and public and disabled facilities in County Hall.
- Additional costs: There is a retail outlet and picture booth where additional funds may be appropriate.
- Attraction signposting: N/A