London from the inside Monday 2nd - Sunday 8th October 2017
We’re a city and a nation of dog lover’s, there’s no doubt about it. But the work / life balance in London doesn’t always lend itself to owning a four-legged friend. If you’re lucky enough to have one in the city, we’ve found the best places to take man’s best friend for a walk, bite to eat or a pint. If you don’t have one, the places are pawfect for some dog watching and stroking. We’ve also added doggy hidden gems - these are dog friendly places that don’t always attract a lot of dogs - for those pups that don’t always like to be surrounded by canine playmates.
BEST DOG WALKS LONDON
1. Regent’s Canal - walk from Camden Market to Granary Square with delicious food options at both ends
2. Nunhead Cemetery - the second largest of London’s Magnificent Seven cemeteries, look out for the view of St Paul’s and Charles Abbott, the 101 year old Ipswich grocer and Charterhouse brother buried here
3. Battersea Park - see the residents of the iconic Battersea Dogs & Cats Home being walked here by the rescue centre’s staff and volunteers. Look out for the happy hounds in their ‘I Need A Home’ coats.
4. Thames Path - walk from Teddington Lock to Kingston Bridge and stop at The Boaters for a pint
5. Sydenham Hill and Dulwich Woods - a lovely walk before some shopping on Lordship Lane
Secret dog spot: Bushy and Richmond Park are so big there’s always a quiet spot to relax with your dog. Just keep an eye out for deer and other wildlife.
BEST DOG PUBS IN LONDON
1. Brewdog, Shepherd’s Bush - the first company to give pawternity leave, of course they welcome dogs in their pubs too
2. The Water Poet, Spitalfields - there’s a multitude of different rooms and a big beer garden
3. The Cutty Sark, Greenwich - Greenwich brewed beer in a fabulously located Greenwich pub
4. The Crown and Two Chairmen, Soho - a proper pub, right in the heart of town
5. The Prince Albert, Battersea - after a walk in Battersea park stop off in this upmarket establishment for a drink and some gastro food
Secret dog spot: Sylvan Post, Forest Hill - hang out in an old safe in this converted Post Office.
BEST DOG RESTAURANTS IN LONDON
1. Ben’s Canteen, Battersea - keeping with the dog-friendly theme in Battersea, Ben’s Canteen serve great burgers, brunch and wine
2. Andrew Edmunds, Soho - fine dining in an 18th century townhouse
3. George, Mayfair - for when only the best will do for you and Fido
4. Proud Archivist, Haggerston - great baked goods in this artisan coffee shop
5. Sodo Pizza Cafe, Clapton - delicious and dog friendly
Secret dog spot: Shake Shack, Covent Garden - there’s a dog menu available at all Shake Shacks!
BEST DOG HOTELS IN LONDON
1. St Pancras Renaissance London Hotel - book the St Pancras Pooch Package – the ultimate chic city break for dogs and their owners
2. Travelodge London Battersea - affordable pet friendly accommodation
3. Hotel 41, Victoria - welcoming and pampering pets opposite Buckingham Palace
4. Milestone Hotel, Kensington - a 5-star hotel with 5-star service for pets including a tailor made welcome hamper
5. Bermondsey Square Hotel - welcoming dogs and well behaved owners
Secret dog spot: Ace Hotel, Shoreditch - the perfect destination for hipster hounds… “Several of the staff bring their doggies to work so there will always be other canine companions to play with.”