London from the inside Monday 6th March - Sunday 12th March 2017
The daffs are out and the sun is too (most of the time!) This week we’re talking about wildlife, Women’s Day and wandering lonely as a cloud in London’s hidden gardens and green spaces.
LONDON’S BEST HIDDEN PARKS AND GARDENS
Transport yourself to another world for a stroll or in your lunch break, without leaving zone one.
- Garden of Light, Paternoster Square - for two weeks only there’s 2100 handmade daffodils lit up in the square to represent the number of Marie Curie nurses
- The Phoenix Park, West End
- St Mary’s Secret Garden, Hoxton
- Kyoto Japanese Garden, Holland Park
- Chelsea Physic Garden, Royal Hospital Road
- Postman’s Park, St Paul’s
1. The London Wildlife Trust is the only charity dedicated to looking after the capital’s natural world.
2. The London Wetland Centre is an oasis of wildlife in west London. You can look at their daily wildlife sightings on their website too.
3. If wildlife and photography is your thing, take a look at the British Wildlife Photography Awards (or even enter).
4. For animal inspired giggles check out the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards, guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
5. If you’re more into a wild life than wildlife, head to Wild Life every Friday night at the Queen of Hoxton, £5 after 9pm.
THIS WEEK IN LONDON
- HeForShe International Women’s Day - there’s an array of events around London for the day on 8th March and we will be turning magenta for the night at 7pm to celebrate.
- The House of Holi - from Tuesday there’s a 12-day pop up in Devonshire Square where you can throw paint over each other (in protective suits) and enjoy a special Holi Indian celebration menu and cocktails.
- Do Ho Suh - his amazing art exhibition at Victoria Miro, Hoxton about the upheaval and uprooting of moving is something we can all relate to whether it be house, town or country.
EYE ON… MERTON
There are 32 capsules on The Coca-Cola London Eye, representing the 32 London boroughs, so each week we explore a different London borough.
This week five fun need-to-know facts about Merton…
1. Best police based TV drama filmed here: The Bill
2. Best tennis tournament: The Championships, Wimbledon
3. Best mosque: Baitul Futuh mosque (the largest in Europe)
4. Best football club: AFC Wimbledon
5. Best children’s TV presenter from here: Dave Benson-Phillips
ON THIS DAY… 9th March 2007
The new Wembley Stadium was completed and handed over to the FA. Happy 10th birthday Wembley!