London from the inside Monday 3rd - Sunday 9th April
This is the Eye on London blog reporting for duty. Here to help you make the most of your city in April.
TOP FIVE APRIL PICKS
1. Kinoteka Polish Film Festival - the best of new Polish cinema until 5th April, various venues
2. Ideal Home Show - the huge exhibition is at Olympia until 9th April
3. London Coffee Festival - we won’t tell that you prefer coffee to tea, 6th-9th at Old Truman Brewery
4. London Marathon - bring plenty of jelly babies, your best clapping hands and maybe some tissues (it can get emotional) - Sunday 23rd, races start from 8.55am
5. Vaisakhi Festival - celebrate with the Sikhs at their annual London celebration of Vaisakhi on 29th April in Trafalgar Square
FEAST FOR THE EYE
There’s seriously exciting new restaurant openings springing up all over the capital.
The Cheese Bar, Camden Market
Go because… there’s so much cheese!
Pizza Pilgrims, Shoreditch
Go because… you can BYOB or BYOCB (bring your own chocolate bar… and they’ll make it into a chocolate calzone for you!)
Go because… ostrich eggs.
Go because… this is the second permanent and purely veggie Pret, opening after it’s pop-up and Soho success.
EYE ON… HARROW
There are 32 capsules on The Coca-Cola London Eye, representing the 32 London boroughs, so each week we explore a different London borough.
Harrow is a name normally associated with the private school but it’s a borough in it’s own right. Here’s five of the best events happening in Harrow this month…
1. 9th April - Bird Watching Walk at Stanmore Marsh
2. 15th April - #TheLaughSociety Stand Up Comedy Show at Harrow Arts Centre
3. 22nd April - Hope Not Hate Festival - A family festival celebrating culture and diversity at Roxeth Recreation Ground
4. 24th April - Mindfulness and Meditation five week workshop
5. 27th April - Annual Walk at West Devon Triangle
ON THIS DAY… 3rd April 1993
The 1993 Grand National never happened as it was declared void after a shambles at the beginning. 30 out of 39 riders didn’t realise a false start had been called and went on to complete the course.