Eye on London - Cheese Lovers London
- Monday November 28th 2016
- Food and Drink
London from the inside Monday 28th November - Sunday 4th December 2016
‘Tis definitely the season to fondue and this week we’re paying homage to le fromage with London’s best cheese shops, events and tips for creating the perfect cheese board. There’s also this week’s must-see events and the Sutton Commuter Book Club.
SWEET DREAMS ARE MADE OF CHEESE
Pop it in the diary…
Evening of Cheese at Borough Market on Wednesday 14th December, 6-9pm
More than 20 of Borough Market’s cheesemongers will be there to chat about, sell and let you taste an extravaganza of cheeses. Brie there or brie square.
The best cheese shops in London
A visit to one of these is a day out in itself…
- La Fromagerie, branches in Marylebone and Highbury
- Paxton & Whitfield, 93 Jermyn Street and Chelsea
- Buchannan’s Cheesemonger, 5A Porchester Place, W2 2BS
- Neal’s Yard Dairy, branches in Covent Garden, Spa Terminus and Borough Market
- La Cave A Fromage, branches in Kensington and Notting Hill
Tips to serving the perfect cheese board…
- Get three to five different cheeses including one hard (maybe a cheddar or Gruyere like Comté), one soft (brie, Camembert or Stinking Bishop for the very brave) and one blue (like Stilton or Gorgonzola)
- Serve about 100g per person and don’t forget the essential accompaniments - grapes, crackers, pickle, jam or jelly and Port
- Don’t serve cheese straight out of the fridge - they should all be served at room temperature
- Don’t cut off it’s nose despite it’s face - always maintain the wedge
These will be going, going, gone unless you catch them this week.
- Walk through Syon Park’s Enchanted Woodland
- Rave at Toddla T’s Winter Carnival
- Take the family to the Society of Imaginary Friends Soiree
There are 32 capsules on The Coca-Cola London Eye, representing the 32 London boroughs, so each week we explore a different London borough.
Sutton library is the largest in the borough. Originally opened in 1975 it was the first public library to appoint a writer-in-residence, the first to have a CD and video lending library and the first to offer service on Sundays.
The Sutton Commuter Book Club
Ok, so it’s not quite an official club (yet), but we asked four Londoners commuting into the centre from Sutton, what they were reading.
Aptly, reading Girl on the Train.
It’s a short psychological thriller called Execution is Everything, very gripping and free to download on Amazon.
Maureen, ‘over 21’
‘If You Meet Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!’
I’m reading Grapes of Wrath, it’s a classic and amazingly descriptive but a bit of a slog.
ON THIS DAY…28th November 1990
There was a tearful farewell from The Iron Lady as Margaret Thatcher formally tendered her resignation and Britain had a new Prime Minister for the first time in more than 11 years.
Number one on 28th November 1990: Righteous Brothers, Unchained Melody