Eye on London - Love is in the Air
- Monday December 19th 2016
London from the inside Monday 19th December - Sunday 25th December 2016
Christmas Eve even beats Valentine’s Day as the most popular day of the year to propose. And after Valentine’s (which is second) closely follows Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and then… Halloween (well each to their own!) So if you’re waiting with baited breath, there’s a 40% chance it will happen over the next fortnight compared to the rest of the year.
Of the top ten places in the world to propose (including the Eiffel Tower, Central Park and the Grand Canyon) only one of them is in the UK… and you guessed it…it’s the London Eye. Maybe something to do with the London Eye being designed by husband-and-wife team David Marks and Julia Barfield.
ALPHABET DATING IN LONDON
Take it in turns with your partner to take each other on dates, working your way through the alphabet. Here’s a few ideas to get you started...
A - is for axe throwing, no really you can at Whistle Punks!
B - is for Barrafina’s beautiful tapas
C - is for cocktails at BYOC
D - is for a day out at Dulwich Picture Gallery
E - is for a flight on the Emirates Air Line cable car link
F - is for First Dates - eat at the actual restaurant, the Paternoster Chop House
G - is for gigging - find a mutual music love and let down your hair
H - is for Hyde Park pedalos and picnics
I - is for ice skating at Somerset House
J - is for a round of Junkyard Golf
K - is for partying tiki-style at Kanaloa Club
L - is for the London Eye - the most romantic place in London… and the UK, don’t you know!
M - is for markets - try Columbia Road and Brick Lane
N - is for Notting Hill - the place then the movie
O - is for getting sporty at the Olympic Park
P - is for puckering up at The Meeting Place at St Pancras Station
Q - is for Quo Vadis delectable dining in Soho
R - is for room service after a night in a hotel
S - is for stroll along the Southbank
T - is for a night at the theatre
U - is for going underground in Gordon’s - London’s oldest wine bar
V - is for visiting Vintage Heaven and the Cake Hole Cafe
W - is for Wright Brothers Oyster Bar
X - is for going XXL to see the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square
Y - is for yoga for a meeting of minds, bodies and souls
Z - is for zorbing in the dark in Whyteleafe
If you’re always the bridesmaid or best man and are looking to bag a partner over Christmas or in 2017, here’s four top tips from fellow Londoners…
1. Look up - the things we miss staring at our phone or swiping Tinder - the hottie walking past, the split second of held eye contact, smiling at a stranger...
2. Turn up - see everything as an opportunity
3. Dress up - go to work, the gym, the supermarket, on nights out feeling your best and you’ll boost your serotonin levels making you feel relaxed and yet oozing confidence making people gravitate to you
4. Open up - be open and curious - meet people you wouldn’t normally meet
EYE ON… CAMDEN
There are 32 capsules on The Coca-Cola London Eye, representing the 32 London boroughs, so each week we explore a different London borough.
Eye On this week takes us to the centre of the British diamond trade - Hatton Garden in the borough of Camden. Jewellery Consultant, Andrew Martyniuk, a Hatton Garden regular, shares a few facts with us…
- The biggest Hatton Garden heist and the largest burglary the country has ever seen took place over Easter weekend 2015 with £14million stolen from safety deposit boxes from 88-90 Hatton Garden (the culprits were caught).
- The most expensive diamond ever bought was an exceptionally rare pink diamond at auction in 2010 for £28.8million. It was bought by Laurence Graff whose first job aged 15 was cleaning Hatton Garden workshop lavatories. He’s now estimated to have a personal fortune of over £1.2billion.
- The five C’s of engagement ring buying are cut, clarity, carat, colour and of course, cost.
ON THIS DAY…22nd December 2005
The London Eye turned pink as we hosted our first ever civil ceremony. Dave Cook and James Wright from Clapham exchanged their vows on the London Eye.
And number one on this day 2005 was… Nizlopi - JCB Song
Like this? Want more? Have a look at the rest of our blog.