Eye on London - New Month, New Stuff To Do
- Monday January 30th 2017
London from the inside Monday 30th January - Sunday 5th February 2017
February finally! No more dry January, Valentine’s and Pancake Day are coming, it’s Oscar season, and a short month so payday will come around quicker! New month, new stuff to do in London!...
FILMS IN TOWN THIS MONTH
It’s not just the summer months that you can pick an epic venue to watch a classic movie. Places like the Rivoli Ballroom regularly screen movies or if you’ve never been to amazing London cinemas like the IMAX, BFI Southbank or The Greenwich Picturehouse then February should be your month.
- GoodFellas - BFI Southbank (until 2nd February, also showing elsewhere)
- Casablanca, Covent Garden Hotel (14th February)
- The Eagle Huntress, Artsdepot (4th February)
Last chance: Until 31st January the House of MinaLima on Greek Street are exhibiting 40 original graphic art prints from Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them - a film they designed all the graphics for.
SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
It’s come around again, that ‘should I / shouldn’t I stay up / maybe it will be a snow day tomorrow / I don’t know what’s going on in this sport anyway’ night of the Super Bowl. The New England Patriots play the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI (51) on Sunday kicking off at 11.30pm (UK time) and will last about four hours. Not content with watching it under the duvet on the sofa, here’s where the other true fans will be…
- Riley’s Sports Bar, Haymarket
- The Social, Fitzrovia
- Frankie’s Sports Bar & Diner, Walham Green
THE NEW EYE LOUNGE
Exciting news... London’s newest Champagne bar is opening this week in County Hall - our brand sparkly new Eye Lounge awaits you.
BEST OF THE REST
What else you can catch in the capital this week and month...
- Condo 2017 - a citywide art exhibition by 36 contemporary galleries across 15 London locations until 11th February
- Frock Me! Vintage Fashion Fair - at Chelsea Old Town Hall, 5th February
- Visit My Mosque Day - this year’s open day is 5th February
- Re:Solutions Festival - wellbeing festival until 31st January
- Work Out Like A Dog - support the Blue Cross with this early morning exercise class in Victoria Park until 3rd February
EYE ON… HOUNSLOW
There are 32 capsules on The Coca-Cola London Eye, representing the 32 London boroughs, so each week we explore a different London borough.
Part of the historic county of Middlesex, Hounslow has been home to many celebs including Phil Collins, Mo Farah, Elvis Costello and The Big bang Theory actor, Kunal Nayyar.
Best pub: Three Magpies, Hounslow
Best breakfast: Greedies, Isleworth
Best coffee: The Coffee Pot, Isleworth
Best curry: Indian Relish, Hounslow
Best fact: Sir Thomas Morris, a distant relative of Bernard Matthews, set up his chicken farming empire in Hounslow in 1756. He used his wealth to set up a school for local underprivileged children, believing that every child had the right to education.
ON THIS DAY… 5th February 1953
Sweet rationing ends in Britain after 10 years and schoolchildren are the first in the queue for unlimited sweets and chocolate.