Eye on London - Oktoberfest, Roald Dahl, and Cheese
- Monday September 26th 2016
- Food and Drink
London from the inside Monday 26th September - Sunday 2nd October 2016
Welcome to the second edition of our new weekly London blog. We’ve created a smorgasbord of the best of everything that’s happening in the capital this week so you can pick and choose which ones to pop in your diary.
...on Saturday! No really. It’s also Oktoberfest : ) - Germany’s ginormous 18-day folk festival, and of course London will be piggy-backing on the beer-steeped activities.
30th September - Oktoberfest at Anspach and Hobday, Druid St
1st October - Oktoberfest Bike Ride
Until 3rd October - Oktoberfest at Munich Cricket Club, Victoria St
It was a bit of a soggy start to Oktoberfest in Munich but rest assured the sun is still shining on London and we can prove it...
4 REASONS WE’RE CLINGING ON TO THE SUMMER…
- London Bridge City Summer Festival - free and everyday until 31st October
- It’s your final opportunity to try al fresco floating pilates on St Katharine Dock
- There’s a variety of stand up paddleboard groups and classes in Richmond, Hackney Wick or Kingston
- And… it promises to be over 20 degrees this week in town - tropical!
BEST OF THE REST...
For the culture vultures
It’s the last chance to see ‘Art and Alcohol’ at Tate Britain this week or if you don’t think the two mix, be inspired by the stunning free exhibition of space photography at the Royal Observatory’s Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year.
McFly and Britney Spears are both touring in London this week for a poptastic way to make your colleagues secretly envious. McFly are at O2 Kentish Town Forum and Britney plays the Camden Roundhouse as part of the Apple Music Festival, and it’s her first time taking to the stage in the UK since 2011.
For kids and big kids
It would’ve been Roald Dahl’s 100th birthday on 13th September and don’t we miss him. The Dream Jar Trail was fabulous and until Sunday you can go to The BFG in Pictures, an exhibition in Kings Cross of never-before-seen Quentin Blake illustrations for The BFG.
EYE ON… LEWISHAM
There are 32 capsules on The Coca-Cola London Eye, representing the 32 London boroughs, so each week we explore a different London borough.
This week the residents of Lewisham give us the lowdown on three of the best things to do with your weekend south of the river.
- Model Market Street Feast - the best European street food and music, every Friday 5pm - 1am on Lewisham High Street - this week #OktoberFeast
- Brockley Market - celebrating it’s 5th birthday last week it’s the perfect local food and produce market, every Saturday morning in Lewisham College car park
- Little Nan’s Tropical Den - expect cocktails in teapots, a Pat Butcher vs Del Boy photo booth and pick ‘n’ mix
ON THIS DAY… 26th September 1580
Sir Frances Drake completed his circumnavigation of the world, sailing into Plymouth on the Golden Hind.