Eye on London - The Movie Buff's Guide to London
- Monday May 15th 2017
London from the inside Monday 15th - Sunday 21st May 2017
Cinema lovers won’t want to miss this week’s blog - all the film festivals that are coming up, famous film locations in London and some of the best of over 100 cinemas in the capital.
FILM FESTIVALS COMING UP IN LONDON
Sundance Film Festival 1st - 4th June
The Kendal Mountain Film Festival 7th June
Portobello Film Festival 31st August - 16th September
Raindance Film Festival 20th September - 1st October
2017 London BFI Film Festival 4th October - 15th October
Ocean Film Festival 16th October - 19th October
London Short Film Festival 12th - 21st January 2018
FIVE FAMOUS FILM LOCATIONS TO VISIT IN LONDON
1. Hugh Grant’s famous blue door from Notting Hill (1999) can be found at 280 Westbourne Park Road and his travel book shop is now a shoe shop located at 142 Portobello Road.
2. Full Metal Jacket (1987) was partly filmed at the former Millennium Mills, Beckton Gas Works in Newham.
3. Daniel Radcliffe and Robbie Coltrane enter the door diagonally opposite 43 Leadenhall Market to take them into ‘Diagon Alley’ in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001).
4. In Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), Jason Flemyng goes to Battersea Bridge to dump the shotguns.
5. Jude Law and Natalie Portman visit Postman’s Park near St Paul’s and look at the George Frederic Watts's Memorial to Heroic Self Sacrifice in Closer (2004).
THE BEST CINEMAS IN LONDON
A special little cinema in Hackney, reopened earlier this year after a successful Kickstarter project, run by the creators of Hot Tub Cinema, brought it back to life.
Shhhhh! Tell no one about these top secret, immersive cinema nights.
Comfy seats, lots of legroom and a great selection of food and drinks at the bar, right in the heart of Maritime Greenwich.
Classic films, under the stars, in incredible settings.
Showing classic, contemporaries and film seasons on the South Bank. The IMAX has the biggest screen in Britain.
Indie cinema donating profits to charity and run by volunteers.
One of the oldest movie theatres in the country situated in Notting Hill.
Seven across central London serving up mainstream films, freshly made popcorn and pizza that you can take to your seats.
Independent single screen cinema in East Finchley that opened in 1912.
Specialising in new independent cinema as well as playing cult classics and favourites from the past in the West End.
Follow us on Spotify @OfficialLondonEye and listen to our new London Movie Soundtrack playlist.
How the locals do it...
Who: Louise, 51.
Lives: Kingston Vale, SW15.
Works: Retail, Kingston upon Thames.
How do you spend your commute: I drive.
Coffee: A cappuccino from Caffe Nero in the Eden Walk Centre.
After work drinks: Cocktails at DoubleTree by Hilton.
A seriously special dinner: Jackson and Rye, Riverside Walk. Great venue and perfect fillet steak and buffalo chicken wings.
Let your hair down: Banquet Records organise great gigs at the Hippodrome Kingston.