The London Eye transforms into a Sky-High sweet emporium this christmas
- Monday November 20th 2023
- London Eye
- #secretlondon, christmas, foodies
Nothing says Christmas quite like chocolate, so this December the lastminute.com London Eye has transformed into the ultimate confectionery wonderland, offering guests a unique sweet-shop experience while soaring 443ft over the capital.
Taking flight on 2 December, the ‘Sky Candy Emporium’ will see one of the iconic London attraction’s 32 pods given a colourful makeover and packed full of delicious treats for guests to enjoy from an edible pick n mix forest to real life candy floss clouds.
Guests will then be invited to head over to the Chocolate Bar to tantalise their taste buds with a delicious, guided chocolate tasting session, ‘The Five Senses Chocolate Flight’, exploring the mysteries of the five senses, and how this impacts the flavour of the nation’s favourite confectionary.
Once they’ve had their fill, those flying high above London’s skyline will be offered a unique themed cocktail or mocktail to sip on while enjoying spectacular views over the capital. The ‘Up to the Clouds’ cocktail is a vodka-based concoction that fizzes and magically changes colour in front of the guests’ eyes, depending on which flavour of sherbet they choose to put in it. With delicious flavours such as grape, cherry, orange or Maui punch to choose from, each guest will have a unique experience as they are filled with fizz and float up into the clouds.
On top of the mouth-watering treats, the pod takeover will also offer the ultimate selfie location this Christmas, decked out with wacky swirly patterned seating, giant lollypop decorations and tubes filled with colourful candy with Big Ben and Buckingham Palace in the background.
When asked about the science behind sensory experience, ‘The Five Senses Chocolate Flight’, in which guests are invited to intensify the experience of chocolate by tricking their senses, food scientist and chocolate expert Natalie Alibrandi shared some of her top tips to experiment at home:
- Use your senses - Chocolate is a complex delicacy with many layers. Use all your senses when consuming and your chocolate addiction may even reach new heights! Try holding your nose when taking your first bite; this will allow you to take in its deep sweet and bitter notes with your taste buds. Then when you let go the sudden rush of smell makes the flavour profile more pronounce
- Let it melt in your mouth – Letting your treat melt in the mouth versus chewing allows the chocolate to coat your mouth and will intensify the flavours and enjoyment
- Eat it in the morning – Of course chocolate is delicious whatever time of day you eat it – but it’s all the better with a fresh palate, and it has caffeine in it so can help keep you going through till lunchtime
- Pick the perfect pairing - If you love dark chocolate try pairing with a berry drink. With white chocolate cubes a lemon beverage cuts through beautifully. And if you’re a milk chocolate fan coffee is a clear winner providing bitterness
The ‘Sky Candy Emporium’ will run from Saturday 2 December to Sunday 10 December 2023 at 3pm, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm on weekdays and 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 6pm, 7pm and 8pm at weekends. Tickets cost £60 and pre-booking is essential. Each experience lasts 30 minutes.